Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Resignation

In South Carolina on Saturday, John McCain blew away my expectations to actually win in their primary. I don't really understand how. I am left with the positive that he only got 33% of the vote, but it's not helping things.

Fred's toast. He put a huge effort into the state and finished a very distant third. If he can't win there, he's not going to win anywhere. My faint hope for him is that he stays in the race and we have a brokered convention. In that case, since he's a solid number 2 for many of the delegates he may sneak through with the nomination. That's not exactly realistic, though.

I now must deal with the very real possibility that McCain may end up the nominee. Yes, he's the same guy who flirted with the idea of changing parties after W pounded him in the 2000 primaries. He's a jerk and a sore loser, and I still can't believe Republicans are going to nominate him.

Anyway, the question is what to do. In the short term, it's to get behind Romney for the Feb 5 primary here in Illinois. In the long term, assuming McCain ends up the nominee, it's tough. I either vote for him or sit home. I am leaning towards sitting at home on the idea that I'd rather the effects of liberal policies get pinned on Democrats than Republicans. Plus, I don't want to see his perpetual poking of conservatives rewarded. On the other hand, court nominees are important (although I'm almost certain McCain would screw conservatives by putting Souter types on the court who would start off moderate and move to the left).

At this point, even Huckabee is preferable to me. I can't believe I just wrote that. Please, somebody stop McCain.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

jump on the Romney train!

LaurenK said...

I would say McCain is pretty much my least fave candidate too. And the guys down here in Norfolk LOVE him. Greatest war hero of our time doesn't equal great President guys.