Thursday, January 24, 2008

More welfare

So, it looks like the President and Congress have come up with some dopey plan to stimlate the economy. I'll play along that it actually do so (even though it won't do anything) and focus on the plan itself.

Here are the details:

Pelosi, D-Calif., agreed to drop increases in food stamp and unemployment benefits during a Wednesday meeting in exchange for gaining rebates of at least $300 for almost everyone earning a paycheck, including low-income earners who make too little to pay income taxes.

Families with children would receive an additional $300 per child, subject to an overall cap of perhaps $1,200, according to a senior House aide who outlined the deal on condition of anonymity in advance of formal adoption of the whole package. Rebates would go to people earning below a certain income cap, likely individuals earning $75,000 or less and couples with incomes of $150,000 or less.

First of all, I don't want to tell people how much I make, but let's just say I'm outside of the "almost everyone" group this unnamed reporter mentions. I don't make so much money that I couldn't use a few hundred dollars to blow at a bar or something.

Second, if it goes to people who don't pay income taxes, it's not a rebate. It's welfare. Let's stop calling it a rebate.

Third, if it increases linearly with every kid you have, it's not a rebate. It's welfare. There I go again!

Fourth (relating to my first point), if it's means-tested, it's not a rebate. It's welfare. See what these people are doing to me?

So it's all about showering poor people and their kids kids with money so they can blow it on lottery tickets or the craps table or whatnot. Great use of our tax money. Oops, I wasn't going to get into the issue of this actually helping the economy...

UPDATE: Michelle Malkin has made this one of her pet issues, and she has much more.

2 comments:

LaurenK said...

They probably prefer to give $ to the poor because they know they WILL spend it. People like us might do something smart like save it.

Thanks to Lee's low income (thanks military!) we could still get some $$.

Fubar said...

Sweet! I'm poor. Show me the money!!!!!