Tuesday, November 27, 2007

People are stupid and afraid

You may think the title of this post is referring to some large societal issue. Well, it's not.

I was on a late, crowded Blue Line train today, and when we got to Clark and Lake (in other words, the first big stop where 1/3 of the train gets off) some joker says, in complete earnest, "Getting off."

My first reaction to such idiocy is usually to reply, "We all are." That's only when I am near them, however, and in this case my back was turned so I couldn't see who it was. Well, gee, Einstein, is this your first time on the train? The whole freaking train gets off! You won't have any problems doing so. That's the STUPID.

As for the afraid, it's mind-melding what a bunch of pansies everyone has become. After I heard that moron say he needed to get off, I joking said to everyone around me, "Yeah, aren't we all?" Some guy next to me looked like I just challenged a suicide bomber to blow up his vest on the train. There is a certain amount of stupidity that I just can't let pass (such as in instances like this), but everyone else was probably going to clear out to let this goof get off first because they are afraid of everything. Can't we all laugh at this dolt rather than condescendingly pretend he's normal? Maybe it will shame him into pulling his head out of his ass and noticing things around him. That's the AFRAID.

No comments: