Friday, September 14, 2007

CTA cuts would hurt some people, yes

I guess after years and years of the entitlement mentality in this country (fueled by a certain political party), you get people who actually believe things like this:

"One feels mad. Sometimes the politicians don't think about us poor people," Komaniecki said. "It's not just me, there's so many of us. [Politicians] are thinking about other things, but what is more important than public transportation?"

Indeed, it's the most important thing for a politician in Springfield to do. You know, to keep a bus route active for someone who lives at 50th and Cicero and works in Glenview. Let that sink in a bit. I'm not kidding:

"Where it took me two hours on two buses, it went down to an hour and a half," said Komaniecki, a 60-year-old Honduran immigrant who every day travels from 50th and Cicero to her job as a housekeeper in north suburban Glenview. "If these cuts go through it will take me 2½ hours each way."

That's Glenview, in the north suburbs, from 50th and Cicero, on the southwest side. She expects some crazy, convoluted bus route to continue to bleed money for her convenience. Well jeepers, I'd love a bus that leaves from Rockwell and Altgeld and makes a direct route to Wacker and Washington, but most people aren't such selfish a-holes that they expect the public to pay for it. Maybe she should either move or get a job closer to home.

Why doesn't she just drive?

"I'll still get there but it'll take more time," she said as she rode the express, perhaps for one of its final runs, knowing that her fear of driving leaves no alternative. "I have to keep working, we can't retire."

So she also has an insane fear that me and other taxpayers have to subsidize. How nice of the Sun-Times to once again take the side of the public (like, the taxpayer). Oh, wait, they didn't do that at all. Instead they sided with another moron with a lame sob story. At least this one is so ridiculous that all but the most empty of bleeding hearts can see what a joke this woman is.

I really hope the legislature has the balls to cut off the CTA, as maybe then we'd have some reform. I'm sure they will just cave in like usual, though.

UPDATE: Cry me a river, sister. Of course businesses would take government subsidies, which is what these goofy bus routes really are.

No comments: