Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sick people on the CTA

This morning I'm on the Blue Line headed to work on a jam-packed car. We get to the Chicago stop and all of a sudden, at the other end of my car some of the passengers are forcing the doors open and getting off. I wonder what's happening (luckily I tend to have a good vantage point), and it becomes apparent that someone is "sick" on the train.

From what I could tell it was a little Hispanic lady who wasn't terribly old or fat. Yeah, the train was kind of warm, but when it's full of people that's going to happen. So the conductor and someone else (I guess the guy who was working at the station) come down and are just kind of talking to her for a few minutes. After this goes on for about 10 minutes we finally take off with this lady still on the train!

Now...

Unless someone is having a seizure or heart attack or stroke or something, why in the hell can't they just get up? Why can't we carry them off? This lady looked OK to me (not that she wasn't sick, but she could have gotten her ass up and off the train). We had to hold up morning rush hour for her to catch her breath or whatever? Meanwhile, the rest of the train was getting hotter and we were all getting warmed up while she had tons of room to calm herself down or something.

I'm quite aware that this may be my most misanthropic post yet, but I just don't get it. She wasn't going anywhere, so why not just get the train two more stops to Clark and Lake where everyone else can get off and she can be attended to? The whole thing is just done with no consideration of the hundreds of other passengers on the train sweating our asses off, not to mention the other trains behind us now getting clogged up.

2 comments:

Mich said...

They prob didn't move her right away for the fear of being sued if something happened. It's stupid.

Fubar said...

That would be so annoying. I agree they should have removed her from the train. Quarantine the beyatch!