Friday, July 25, 2008

The Green fad may be ending

Has anyone noticed that everything everywhere is green (or should I write, Green)? I was just thinking about it last night. There I am, watching Special Report with Brit Hume, and I get pummelled with another goofy gas commericial by BP or somebody. In it, I am told that they do all kinds of things to "protect the environment".

What does that even mean? What do they mean by "environment"? Anything specific? Also, how are they "protecting" it, and from who or what? See what I mean when I write that this stuff is just plain goofy? I also think it's meant to appeal to idiots who don't think about things like this, but that's another issue.

Anyway, I was thinking about how everything has to be Green. It's so annoying. Can't anybody just sell me some gas or burgers or beer and leave it at that?

I am glad the fad is dying. And yes, environmentalists, it was always fad. I knew people were smarter than that, and they are proving me correct:

As global warming was first becoming a cause célèbre a few years ago, many serious environmentalists worried that green was in danger of becoming a fad -- something that would inevitably recede from consciousness after overtaxing our limited pop-cultural attention span.

Sad to say, that prediction shows signs of coming true. Last week, The New York Times noted that the advertising industry is pulling back from green-themed marketing, having "grasped the public's growing skepticism over ads with environmental messages.

No comments: