Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Was Obama ever a Muslim?

Some people go through great pains to say that Obama isn't a Muslim. True enough, he is a Christian (if you can call his church's insane teachings Christian).

His campaign says that he was never a Muslim. That's not quite accurate, as Daniel Pipes points out.

Does this matter? Not to me, since he can't be held accountable for how he was raised. However, my concern is similar to Pipes':

Obama's having been born and raised a Muslim and having left the faith to become a Christian make him neither more nor less qualified to become president of the United States. But if he was born and raised a Muslim and is now hiding that fact, this points to a major deceit, a fundamental misrepresentation about himself that has profound implications about his character and his suitability as president.

2 comments:

LaurenK said...

I would downplay my Muslim past too. Way too many people in the country equate Muslim w/ terrorist. Which is like equating Christianity with the Branch Davidians. I personally consider myself as only being Catholic in my life because that is all I have chosen to be. However, you can find records of me going to a Lutheran church with my mom or a Baptist Sunday School that my gma put me in every year.

Oh, and now I would categorize myself as an Obama supporter. Not because I ever wanted to be but because John McCain is my political opposite.

Cletus Van Dam said...

It's not downplaying, it's lying. Downplaying would be not going around and mentioning that he was raised Muslim. That's not what he's doing here.