Friday, May 30, 2008

The Strangers review

No, I didn't see it (those who know me know that I'd rather eat a bowl of broken glass than go to a movie theater), but here's one by Sonny Bunch over at The Weekly Standard:

As a thriller, The Strangers is effective insofar as it has a number of chest-tightening sequences created by little more than mood, shadows, and figures in the background. It doesn't rely on sharp crescendos in the music or moments of shocking violence to provoke a start in the audience (though a Carrieesque ending feels forced). The little violence there is in The Strangers is methodical and unsurprising--in a way, inevitable. Not to mention gruesome.

I post this because the commercials for it look amazing. I am fired up for it come out on DVD so I can get it from Netflix.

2 comments:

Sonny Bunch said...

Just make sure you watch it late at night, with the blinds drawn, preferably deep in the woods on a portable DVD player.

(BTW, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Shield are two of my all-time favorite shows. Kudos to you on your blog name and pseudonym is what I'm trying to say here. Assuming, of course, that Cletus Van Dam is not your actual name and is instead a play on Shane's alias.)

Cletus Van Dam said...

I appreciate your kind words, Sonny. Cletus is indeed just a play on Shane's alias. You have great taste in TV shows!