Monday, December 17, 2007

Lost wallets...

...broken dreams.

In the hubbub Saturday night I lost my wallet. I didn't have much in there except my whole life. Anyway, I've done my part in rebuilding it by ordering new cards, getting a new driver's license, and loading up on cash at the bank.

Why does anyone care? Because it allows me to tell a story and write the only post ever on this blog that's like one of Mrs. Reuter's...

At the Secretary of State's office (why don't they just call it the DMV like every other state?) who was in front me by no more than 2 people? Why, none other than Mrs. and Mr. Knowles. Apparently April had the misfortune of her 401(k) being frozen due to her driver's license not matching her address (or something like that). The Knowles made a lunch date of getting new licenses and hitting up the food court at the Thompson Center. After getting numbers we chatted about the various issues of the day in the holding cell (excuse me, waiting area). Then in line at the cashier we did some more, and finally again at the photo area. At that point I had to walk to CTA headquarters for a new Chicago Card Plus, so I declined their tempting offer of joining them for lunch.

After getting cash I stuffed my face with McDonald's, all the while wondering if buying gorceries in the Soviet Union was a similar experience to navigating the beaurocracy of the DMV. I decided the answer was "Yes".

2 comments:

Mich said...

oooooh, I like the story. Sorry to hear about your wallet...guess Bryan will have to give you another check eh?

Mich said...

oooooh, I like the story. Sorry to hear about your wallet...guess Bryan will have to give you another check eh?