Wednesday, June 4, 2008

MLB draft preview

The baseball amateur draft is tomorrow, and Kevin Goldstein over at BP has been on it like white on rice (or, at least on white rice). Today is his mock draft. I think it's open to non-subscribers, so check it out.

If Kenny Williams gets Justin Smoak (as Goldstein predicts), I will be a happy guy. Slugging college first basemen drafted high tend to do well (or so I hope), and the last time the Sox took one was in 1989 with Frank Thomas. With Jim Thome in the last year of his contract and Paul Konerko's deal expiring after 2010, the Sox could easily move Konerko to DH in 2010 and have Smoak as the everyday 1B. I'm giddy at the thought, especially since the farm system is bereft of impact hitters (I love you, Josh Fields, but you don't count). The Sox haven't drafted this high since 1990, which ended a streak of 4 years of top ten picks of Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Thomas, and Alex Fernandez. That was the backbone of those stud early 1990's teams that couldn't quite get past the Blue Jays and then Indians.

Goldstein is also going to have a chat over on the site later today, and it may also be open to non-subscribers.

2 comments:

Mich said...

I am going to preface my question by saying that I know n-o-t-h-i-n-g about baseball.....why is there a draft in the middle of the season?

Unknown said...

that would be an AWESOME pic!