Friday, June 6, 2008

Mancow on Chris Farley

Mancow Muller has a long Sun-Times column remembering his friend Chris Farley:

From his tiny “script room,” there was a million-dollar view of Lake Michigan outside, and inside was a mountain range of cocaine only Scarface or a movie star could afford. No fat kid from Madison, Wis., ever prays for that when they grow up. No, that was a gift from Hollywood U.S.A. I never did cocaine with him. But after he died the lure of it was unbearable, and I wanted to. What is the attraction? He would joke that it kept him skinny. He was ashamed and embarrassed if I watched him do “the toot! The nose candy! The booger sugar!” He would ask me to look away. In his heart he hated that he had become a slave to addiction. Around the time Chris was born, there was a classic “Star Trek” episode called “The Doomsday Machine.” In that episode there is a destroyer of worlds that would snort up planets. When Chris did cocaine, in my mind’s eye I saw Chris as the “Doomsday Machine” vacuuming up cocaine and barrel rolling into oblivion.

No comments: