Sunday, March 2, 2008

Here comes your tax increase

There is just too much to write about the ridiculous 1% sales tax increase passed by the Cook County Board. Needless to say, I find it incredibly wasteful and expensive, just like the whole Cook County government.

Here's a quote from the guy who provided the crucial 9th vote for the tax increase (Larry Suffredin). Be aware of the economic illiteracy in a statement like this:

"Chicago now has the unfortunate notoriety of having the highest sales tax in the country, and our region will now be a more expensive place to visit, live, work and operate a business," said Jerry Roper, head of the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce. "The people of our region should be outraged."

Suffredin scoffed at that.

"I've heard them say that for 30 years," he said. "I look downtown and only see cranes."

That's the guy whose vote gives us the highest sales tax in the country at 10.25%. Here's the list of votes for you to remember for the next Cook County elections:

In favor (9)
William Beavers
Jerry Butler
Earlean Collins
John Daley
Joseph Mario Moreno
Joan Murphy
Deborah Sims
Robert Steele
Larry Suffredin

Against (8)
Forrest Claypool
Liz Gorman
Gregg Goslin
Roberto Maldonado
Tony Peraica
Mike Quigley
Tim Schneider
Peter Silvestri

Basically, the Republicans are all against it, along with some Democrats. The liberal Democrat wing of the Board voted for it.

I am going to do my damndest to make as many of my purchases as possible outside Cook County, either via the internet or in Indiana (only 6% sales tax). That way they don't get my money, even if it costs me extra time or extra money for gas. I realize I'm supposed to report those pruchases on my tax return, but Todd Stroger and the Cook County government can, in the words of Eric Cartman, suck my balls.

No comments: