Friday, March 7, 2008

Chicago's best bartender

AKA Consensus of the fancy people. This list tell you all you need to know about it by reading these two excerpts regarding the bartender at Burton Place:

Like many dive bars before it, Burton Place is dark and brown and always blaring classic rock.

Stop right there. Burton Place is not a dive bar just because it's dark and brown and loud. Dive bars also need a crowd of locals who are not fancy. Also this:

Q. What's your favorite drink to make, and how much does it cost?

A. Probably a Budweiser for $4.50. It's right here, and I can get it to you in less than two seconds.

$4.50 for Bud? NOT A DIVE. Will's sounds like a dive (I've never been there and I don't even know where it is, as it's not in Metromix).

I'm not trying to say that these people aren't good bartenders. I've found that the bartenders at fancy restaurants and such tend to actually be extremely competent in every technical aspect of bartending. Right now, for my money the best bartender in the city is John at Four Shadows. He's a big reason that I always start my week so poorly after bowling on Sunday night.

UPDATE: Commenter "I<3Indiana" (I'm not sure what being less than 3 Indianas is about) points out Seth from Foley's. Yes, I agree, he is the best bartender in Chicago. I need to go back to Foley's sometime soon...

1 comment:

LaurenK said...

What about what's-his-name at Foley's? We can go into that place once every 6 months and he still remembers us!!

SETH! SETH is his name, right?